Par | 72
Yardage | 7,160
Mauna Kea Resort
Head to the island of Hawaii to visit the Mauna Kea Golf Course. The course opened in 1964 and has hosted golfers year round ever since. Designed by Robert Trent Jones, the beauty of the course is only rivaled by its intricate architecture and design. If you’re looking for breathtaking ocean views, challenging golf, and perfect weather, look no further than Mauna Kea.
- The Mauna Kea Golf Course was voted #31 on Golf Digest’s “100 Greatest Public Courses” list.
- Originally owned by Laurance S. Rockefeller, Mauna Kea was the most expensive hotel built in 1965. The hotel was named one of the “three greatest hotels in the world,” by Esquire magazine and one of the “10 best buildings of 1966” by Fortune.
- The course architect, Robert Trent Jones, Sr., famously said, “Mr. Rockefeller, if you allow me to build a golf course here, this’ll be the most beautiful hole in the world,” while standing at the the 3rd hole site. The 3rd hole at Mauna Kea is now one of the most famous holes in golf.
- The course was “re-imagined” by RTJ’s son Reese Jones, Inc., who increased the number of bunkers to 99 and increased the overall yardages by nearly 200 yards from the tips.
- Recently, the course added highly efficient ultra-dwarf Tifeagle Bermudagrass on the greens, state-of-the-art irrigation systems, and drainage improvements to keep the course looking beautiful.